My name is Daniël Hogetoorn, a Dutchman living in Szolnok, Hungary, together with my wife Erika and my small sons Botond and Csongor. From my early youth I’m fond of gaming. My brother Richard and I played the various usual games like Monopoly, Master Mind, Chess and Stratego, but when we found out about the MB games Shogun and Axis & Allies, things changed. We were not fond of games anymore, we were addicted, we changed into “serious gamers”.
At the moment I’m not only working for 999 Games, a games company in the Netherlands, but my games collection contains about 800 board and card games right now, which I tend to play 3-weekly at my office in Szolnok.
When I still lived in the Netherlands, I organized an annual board games and United (a turnbased football management game, often played by (e)mail, which I played for many, many years; I also was a United game master in Eureka! and United Friends, gaming magazines published by Richard and me) tournament at home, known as Daan’s Christmas Tournament. After a few years rest and moving to Hungary definitively, I started to organize the board games tournament again, now called ABK (Amsterdam Boardgame Championship). A few years ago I quitted playing United completely, since free-time was getting less and less. But as you can see on this website, I still play my favourite games and organize championships and tournaments, something I will never stop doing, since I like it too much! 🙂
At the end of this small biography a list of my favourite games:
- Twilight Struggle (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12333/twilight-struggle)
- The Voyages of Marco Polo (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171623/voyages-marco-polo)
- Legends of Andor (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/127398/legends-andor)
- Age of Renaissance (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26/age-of-renaissance)
- At the Gates of Loyang (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39683/at-the-gates-of-loyang)
- 99 (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6688/ninety-nine)
- Tichu (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/215/tichu)
- Ora et Labora (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70149/ora-et-labora)
- Through the Ages (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25613/through-the-ages-a-story-of-civilization)
- Taj Mahal (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/475/taj-mahal)